AIA CES Credits
AV Equipment Request Form
AV Office
Abstract Publication
Academic Calendar, Columbia University
Academic Calendar, GSAPP
Admissions Office
Advanced Standing Waiver Form
Alumni Board
Alumni Office
Architecture Studio Lottery
Avery Library
Avery Review

Student Hourly Payroll


Below is a list of required forms to complete and return before payment can be issued from Columbia University. You may not work at Columbia GSAPP until all required forms have been submitted to the Finance Office.

The forms should be completed in blue or black ink with your original signature and original hard copies submitted to Carla Call, Assistant Director, 406 Avery Hall.

Please note that we cannot process your hire as casual or work-study employee until we have all of the required and completed forms/documents listed below. Late submission will result in payment delays.

If you are appointed as a Student Officer (e.g., Teaching Assistant, Graduate Research Assistant), please visit the Dean’s Office webpage here.

  1. I-9 Form – To be completed in person in the I-9 Office, 210 Kent Hall, on or before your first day of work. You will not be allowed to work or be paid if this form is not completed. For instructions click here.

  2. Casual Employment Form

  3. Employee Information Form

  4. NYS DOL Law 195 Form - will be provided to you by the GSAPP Finance Office.

  5. W-4 (Federal Tax Form)

  6. Other tax forms as applicable
    a. IT-2104 (New York State Tax Form, for NY residents only)
    b. IT-2104.1 (NYS Non-resident Tax Form, for non-NY State residents only)
    c. New Jersey tax forms (if applicable)
    d. Tax treaty forms (Form 8233, for Nonresident Aliens [NRA], if applicable)

  7. Visa Documents as applicable:
    Nonresident Aliens
    a. Copy of passport identification page
    b. Visa / Visa Stamp in passport
    c. I-20 / DS-2019 / I-797 (Visa Certificate)
    d. I-94 (US Customs Arrival record)
    Permanent Residents
    a. Permanent Resident Card

  8. Race/Ethnicity Form – This form is required. If you choose not to identify your race, please write “No response.”

In addition to providing the forms listed under item 7 above, international students also need a valid U.S. Social Security Number (SSN) in order to work. If you do not have a valid SSN, please let the Finance Office know, and we will provide you with further instructions.

If you hold a student officer appointment, you may not work more than 20 hours per week in all positions.  If you are offered a casual position in addition to your student officer appointment, please discuss with the department in which you hold the student officer appointment to ensure you do not exceed 20 hours per week.

For more information related to Student Appointments, click here.


Students eligible for Federal Work-Study should contact the GSAPP Finance Office for further information.

Students must be United States citizens or permanent residents and must have proven financial need.

Timesheet Requirements

Timesheets are to be submitted to the Finance Office at the end of each pay period. Timely submission of an accurate and signed timesheet by both the employee and supervisor is important to ensure payment in a timely manner. Please discuss the timesheet submission process and deadlines with the Finance Office and your supervisor.

  • Timesheets are due by 12:00 pm on the scheduled due date listed on the Casual Payroll Schedule.

  • For additional timesheet instructions click here.

During the academic year and summer term, enrolled students may work up to 20 hours per week. If a student works for more than one department, total hours worked across all positions may not exceed 20 hours per week.

Related Forms

Bi-Weekly Casual Timesheet   

Timesheet Instructions

Casual Payroll Schedule


Most student casual employees are paid on a bi-weekly basis. Confirmation of your pay frequency is provided on the Casual Employment Form or NYS 195 Form. For specific dates, please see the payroll calendar.

The University encourages employees to enroll in direct deposit.

How to Set Up Direct Deposit

  1. Log into the MyColumbia portal with your UNI and password
  2. Click the “Faculty & Staff Tab”
  3. Under Self Service, choose “View Your Direct Deposit Information” Resources:

Video: Setting Up Direct Deposit in PAC

Note: when you click on the video link in the above link, you will be asked to sign in with your UNI and password. Once on the page, simply click the blue “Enroll” button to begin.

Paper checks can be picked up in the Finance Office, 406 Avery Hall.

Checks that are unclaimed will be returned to Columbia University Human Resources, 615 West 131st Street, Studebaker Building, 4th Floor, New York, NY 10027, tel: 212-851-2888. See the University’s Web Page for Unclaimed Checks for more information.

Viewing Your Paycheck

Paychecks may be viewed using the University MyColumbia portal. Log in with your UNI and password, and click on “View Your Paycheck” under Self-Service.

This website uses cookies as well as similar tools and technologies to understand visitors' experiences. By continuing to use this website, you consent to Columbia University's usage of cookies and similar technologies, in accordance with the Columbia University Website Cookie Notice.