AIA CES Credits
AV Office
Abstract Publication
Academic Affairs
Academic Calendar, Columbia University
Academic Calendar, GSAPP
Admissions Office
Advanced Standing Waiver Form
Alumni Board
Alumni Office
Anti-Racism Curriculum Development Award
Architecture Studio Lottery
Avery Library
Avery Review
Avery Shorts


STEM Designation
Satisfactory Academic Progress
Skill Trails
Student Affairs
Student Awards
Student Conduct
Student Council (All Programs)
Student Financial Services
Student Health Services at Columbia
Student Organization Handbook
Student Organizations
Student Services Center
Student Services Online (SSOL)
Student Work Online
Studio Culture Policy
Studio Procedures
Summer Workshops
Support GSAPP
This website uses cookies as well as similar tools and technologies to understand visitors' experiences. By continuing to use this website, you consent to Columbia University's usage of cookies and similar technologies, in accordance with the Columbia University Website Cookie Notice Group 6


All students registered in the Graduate School of Architecture, Planning and Preservation are graded as described below:

  • HP (high pass) = a superior level of work
  • P (pass) = an acceptable level of work
  • LP (low pass) = work that meets minimal standards
  • F (fail) = work that is unsatisfactory

The mark of INC (Incomplete) is not used except in the case described below: at the request of a student who has satisfactorily met all the requirements for a course except for the completion of certain assigned papers, graphic presentations, or reports that the student had to postpone because of proven illness.

Authorized Incompletes must be changed to a final grade by the first day of registration for the spring term in the case of all fall papers and projects, and by June 10 for all spring work. Any INC that has not been removed by the instructor by the relevant deadline will automatically turn into the grade of F. This grade cannot be changed to Pass; if the course is a required course, it will have to be repeated.

The mark of CP (credit pending): given only in graduate research courses in which student research projects regularly extend beyond the end of the term. Upon completion, a final qualitative grade is assigned and credit allowed. The mark of CP implies satisfactory progress. Any CP that has not been changed by the instructor after one year will automatically turn into the grade of F.

The mark of UW (unofficial withdrawal): assigned to students who miss more than three required classes or whose names appear on the grade sheet but who have discontinued attendance.

Academic Standing

Students receiving a grade of F in any design course, or more than one F in non-design courses, will be asked to withdraw. Although consideration is given to particular cases where a student’s work has suffered because of illness, the student may be required to take additional work to demonstrate that he or she has overcome the problems that have resulted in a poor record. A student with more than two non-passing grades is not considered to be in good academic standing. A limit is placed on the number of Low Pass (LP) grades permitted for credit toward a student’s degree.

For Master of Architecture: No more than two LPs are permitted in any of the following categories: Design sequence, History/Theory sequence, Building Technologies sequence. A third LP in any of the above categories will not carry credit toward the degree.

For the M.S. in Advanced Architectural Design and the M.S. in Architecture and Urban Design: No more than two LPs are permitted in the Design sequence and no more than three LPs in the entire program.

For the M.S. in Historic Preservation and the M.S. in Urban Planning Programs: No more than four LPs are permitted in the entire program.

For the M.S. in Real Estate Development Program and the M.S. in Computational Design Practices Program: No more than three LPs are permitted in the program.

Grade Appeals and Grade Changes

The awarding of grades and all other academic evaluations rests entirely with the faculty. If students have a concern relating to a particular grade or other assessment of their academic work, the student first should speak with the instructor of the class to understand how the grade or other evaluation was derived and to address the student’s specific concern. If the students do not feel comfortable speaking with the class instructor about the matter, they should then bring the issue to the attention of their program director.

If the students are unable thus to resolve the matter to their satisfaction and believe that a procedural issue is involved, they should bring the matter to the attention of the Associate Dean of students. The Associate Dean of students will work with the student and the faculty to determine whether there has been a procedural breach and if so, take immediate steps to remedy the matter. If the Associate Dean, together with appropriate faculty other than the instructor, decides that there is no need for further action, the student will be informed and the decision will be final. After grades are posted, students may not submit additional work in order to elevate a grade.