AIA CES Credits
AV Office
Abstract Publication
Academic Calendar, Columbia University
Academic Calendar, GSAPP
Admissions Office
Advanced Standing Waiver Form
Alumni Board
Alumni Office
Anti-Racism Curriculum Development Award
Architecture Studio Lottery
Avery Library
Avery Review
Avery Shorts


STEM Designation
Satisfactory Academic Progress
Skill Trails
Student Affairs
Student Awards
Student Conduct
Student Council (All Programs)
Student Financial Services
Student Health Services at Columbia
Student Organization Handbook
Student Organizations
Student Services Center
Student Services Online (SSOL)
Student Work Online
Studio Culture Policy
Studio Procedures
Studio-X Global Network
Summer Workshops
Support GSAPP
This website uses cookies as well as similar tools and technologies to understand visitors' experiences. By continuing to use this website, you consent to Columbia University's usage of cookies and similar technologies, in accordance with the Columbia University Website Cookie Notice Group 6

Admissions FAQ

Admitted Students
Please reference the Admitted Student page for a timeline of next steps following your admission to GSAPP, and also see the COVID-19 FAQ page for information regarding the impact of COVID-19 including the most recently updated University resources and guidelines.
Accepting Your Offer of Admission
How will GSAPP notify me of my admissions decision?
All notifications are made via email to the address provided in the application.
How do I confirm my enrollment?
Master’s degree candidates must accept their offer of admission with a non-refundable enrollment deposit by April 15 using the link provided in their offer letter.
Does GSAPP require a deposit if I’m accepting the offer of admission?
Admitted students are required to submit a non-refundable tuition deposit upon accepting the offer of admission, which must be paid by credit card using Visa or Mastercard.
What should I do if I have technical difficulties when paying the enrollment deposit?

First check that you have correctly entered the following information on the payment page:

  • Name and Billing address (discrepancies can cause a card to be declined)
  • Credit card number
  • Credit card expiration date
  • Credit card verification code

If the above items do not resolve the issue:

  • Try logging in to the application using a different browser.
  • Try using a different credit card.
Credit Transfer and Advanced Standing
Can I get credit for courses taken in undergraduate to count toward GSAPP degree requirements?

GSAPP’s policies on transferring credit are determined by program, and transfer credit may apply to advanced standing or waivers.

For Master of Architecture there are two ways that a student may receive advanced standing:

  • Advanced placement into the second year of the MARCH program or
  • Advanced standing or waivers in individual required MARCH courses; credit will be evaluated on an individual basis (maximum 9 points).

For more detailed information on advanced standing and waivers, please see the Credit Transfer page.

Deferrals and Leaves of Absence
Does GSAPP offer deferrals?

GSAPP offers admission with the expectation that students will matriculate in the semester specified during the application process.

Requests for deferrals prior to matriculation are only considered in the case of personal medical emergencies, and additional documentation is required. Please see the Deferrals Policy and contact the Admissions Office at arch_admissions@columbia.edu for more information.

How can I request a Leave of Absence?

Upon satisfactory completion of one year in the Graduate School of Architecture, Planning and Preservation, a leave of absence may be requested in writing. Requests must be made by December 15 for leaves beginning in January, and by July 15 for leaves beginning in September.

Please see the Leave of Absence page for additional details on this policy and a link to the online form.

Official Transcripts

An academic transcript/record from each university attended and credit earned is required for all applicants, and unofficial scans or PDFs of transcripts are accepted for review purposes only.

Enrolling students must provide official transcripts before the end of their second semester at GSAPP.

How do I submit my official transcripts?

Students who attended a College or University in the United States

Electronic transcripts must be sent directly from your prior school to the GSAPP Office of Admission at arch_admissions@columbia.edu using that school’s online e-transcript delivery system.

Most electronic transcript delivery options will require an email address and you can input arch_admissions@columbia.edu. If they also require a specific contact name you can input: Steffen Boddeker, Associate Dean of Admissions and Outreach.

If your prior institution does not offer electronic delivery, you must send a message to arch_admissions@columbia.edu with link to the institution’s webpage concerning transcript orders to confirm that paper is the only option, and obtain permission from the GSAPP Office of Admissions to submit a paper transcript.

Physical transcripts should be sent directly from the school’s Registrar’s Office to GSAPP’s Admissions Office in a signed and sealed envelope:

GSAPP Admissions 407 Avery Hall 1172 Amsterdam Avenue New York, NY 10027

Students who attended a College or University outside the United States

International transcripts require a World Education Services (WES) course-by-course evaluation and International Credential Advantage Package (WES-ICAP) to be sent electronically from WES to the GSAPP Office of Admissions.

Students who completed their studies in China utilize the CHESICC, the credentials verification service affiliated with the PRC’s Ministry of Education, to arrange for submission of a Verification Report of China Higher Education Student’s Academic Transcripts and a Verification Report of China Higher Education Qualification Certificate. These should be delivered electronically.

How do I supply foreign language transcripts?

If the original language of the transcript is not English, the translation must be certified as an accurate translation of the original and should be notarized or otherwise authenticated (either by the degree-granting University or third-party). Either WES or an official translation (certified/notarized/authenticated as accurate) is appropriate.

The certified translation needs to be accompanied by the transcript in its original language.

Admissions Office Contact


+1 212-854-0246

GSAPP Admissions
407 Avery Hall
1172 Amsterdam Avenue
New York, NY 10027