The Graduate School of Architecture, Planning and Preservation (GSAPP) is pleased to provide professional
development funds dedicated for GSAPP PhD students. The GSAPP PhD Travel, Conference, and Exhibition
Participation Support will provide awards of $1,500 to PhD students for participation in prominent conferences and
exhibitions or for research travel. There is a limit of one award per academic year, and a maximum of two awards
during a student’s career at Columbia. The award is not guaranteed, and requests are considered on a first-come,
first-served basis. If applications exceed available funds, students who have not received an award in previous years
will have priority.
Applicants must submit the following documents to the PhD Office (Attn: Nicholas
- Brief Funding Request (no more than one page)
- For what activity or purpose will you utilize these funds?
- In what ways will this funding request advance your teaching/scholarship?
- Please specify anticipated outcomes and impact.
- Invitation from Organizer
- Written approval from Program Director
- Applicant should submit the Brief Funding Request and the Invitation from Organizer to the Program Director for their review of the funding request.
- Summer conference, exhibition, or travel: July 15
- Fall conference, exhibition, or travel: October 31
- Spring conference, exhibition, or travel: March 31
Recipients of the award will receive a non-tuition financial aid award. Payment is subject to applicable taxation and