7 March 2017
AIA New York announced the recipients of its 2017 Design Awards at the Center for Architecture on March 6, naming Columbia University's Roy and Diana Vagelos Education Center as "Best in Competition". The building was designed by the firm of alumnus Charles Renfro (AAD '94), Diller Scofidio + Renfro, with landscape architecture by GSAPP Urban Design Director Kate Orff's firm, SCAPE.
Among the 35 winning projects, 13 are the work of Columbia GSAPP faculty and alumni. The winning awards will be on exhibition at the AIA Center for Architecture from April 21 to May 6, 2017.
Alumna Sharon Sutton (M.Arch '73) will be recognized with the Medal of Honor at the Honors and Awards Luncheon on April 21, 2017. Sutton is a current member of the GSAPP Alumni Board, and recently published the book When Ivory Towers Were Black.
The winners with Columbia GSAPP affiliation include:
Architecture Honor Awards
- Diller Scofidio + Renfro, with alumnus Charles Renfro (AAD '94), and SCAPE, led by faculty Kate Orff, for The Roy and Diana Vagelos Education Center, Columbia University
- Steven Holl Architects, led by Professor Steven Holl, for the University of Iowa Visual Arts Building. Alumna Rychiee Espinosa (M.Arch '09) served as project architect.
Architecture Merit Awards
- WORKac, led by Dean Amale Andraos and alumnus Dan Wood (AAD '92) for the Stealth Building in New York
- nArchitects, led by faculty Mimi Hoang and Eric Bunge for the A/D/O project in Brooklyn
- John G. Waite Associates, led by John Waite (M.Arch '66) for the restoration and renovation of the Rotunda at the University of Virginia, Charlottesville
Interior Honors Awards
- A+I, led by alumni Brad Zizmor (M.Arch '93) and Dag Folger (M.Arch '93), for Squarespace Global Headquarters in New York
- Jordan Parnass Digital Architecture, led by alumnus Jordan Parnass (M.Arch '93) for Dwarna Smallwood Performing Arts Center in Brooklyn
- Stephen Yablon Architecture, led by alumnus Stephen Yablon (M.Arch '82 and former GSAPP Alumni Board member) for Diane L. Max Health Center: Planned Parenthood Queens in Long Island City
Interior Merit Awards
- Beyer Blinder Belle, with alumnae Liz Leber (M.Arch '95 and former GSAPP Alumni Board member) and Brett Gaillard (MSHP '09) for the The Met Breuer Restoration
- LEVENBETTS, led by faculty Stella Betts for the Brooklyn Heights Interim Library in Brooklyn
Projects Honor Awards
- Diller Scofidio + Renfro, with alumnus Charles Renfro (AAD '94) for the exhibition design of Pierre Chareau: Modern Architecture and Design at the Jewish Museum, New York
- PAU Studio (Practice for Architecture and Urbanism), led by faculty Vishaan Chakrabarti, for the Penn Palimpsest project for Penn Station, New York
Projects Merit Award
- Efficiency Lab for Architecture, led by alumnus Aybars Asci (AAD '99) for the Lima Art Museum new Contemporary Art Wing