Instructions for Using the Network RenderFarm
*Note: The below instructions are general instructions for rendering using 3DS Max as an example. For more instructions using other applications, please visit the following site: http://www.thinkboxsoftware.com/deadline-5-rhino/
*Note: While reading the instructions, please keep in the mind the repository is located at \\gsappvm3\DeadlineRepository
I. Creating Folders
- 1. go to the start menu and select “Run...” (keyboard shortcut: “windows button” + “R”)
- 2. type “\\gsappvm3\input\”.
- 3. create folder using your UNI as the name (ex: scp2013).
- 4. repeat step 1
- 5. type “\\gsappvm3\output\”
- 6. repeat step 3
II. Setting up the files
Making sure your render files are in the correct location and set up to render on the network, creating output files in the output folder, and creating output files in your preferred format
B. Make sure the file has the right network rendering setup:
- 1. go to “Render Setup.”
- 2. under “common,” make changes as needed to the Frames and the Size.
- 3. also under “common,” in the Output section click on the Files button:
- - This is where you decide what your output files will be named.
- - But not only that, this is where you decide WHERE your output files will be LOCATED.
- - So, make sure to fill the blank with \\gsappvm3\output\"your uni"\"filename"
- - DO NOT type R:\output\"your uni"\"filename" or simply "filename."
- - Then, select the type of output (jpeg, etc).
III. Submitting Jobs to the Farm
Using DEADLINE MONITOR to submit jobs and get the ball rolling
First tell Deadline where your file is located. Fill out the “3dsmax file” field following this syntax:
\\gsappvm3\input\"your uni"\ "the name of your file.max"
IT IS VERY IMPORTANT that you select the currect version of 3dsmax you are using (2013). Remember to select the correct version for any render job, whether it is max, maya, or after effects.
Note: Under 3dsMax options (at the bottom), please make sure to deselect Show Virtual Frame Buffer.
Note: For 3ds max make sure to check "use design edition" and make sure to set the build to "64 bit".
Your job will be sent to the Deadline slaves and they will process your job and it will be left in your OUTPUT folder under your UNI folder.